Currently there is no way to build an install image on windows using pkgpands, gen, release and various configuration files. These components can support it, but have various problems associated with the differences between the platforms.
- Bash scripts need to be duplicated in powershell to be functionally parallel.
- python code needs to be aware of its platform and not fail when os-dependent modules are imported.
- Various yaml template files need to have equivalent windows versions.
- gen needs to be modified to handle os specific differences and add a few template keys (such as OS type).
- release needs to be modified to handle os specific info
- setup.py needs to be modified to handle OS specific differences in packages and imports.
- All of these changes are large enough that they should be entered in stages so as not to disrupt the Linux build process.
- At the end, we need to include windows testing in the CI.